Students are asked to use their imagination to try to answer questions about what they know and to come up with their own ideas of how things work.
First Grade Science Overview
In our first grade curriculum, students will be revisiting topics that were previously explored as well as exploring new topics. Physical Science gives the students the opportunity to grow their understanding of everyday objects and how they work in our daily lives. In the Earth and Space Science lessons, students will receive the foundation to develop an understanding of the Earth. Life Science activities will expand on what the students’ learned in kindergarten about plants and animals by focusing on the characteristics of living things and the diversity of life.
First Grade Science Demo Activities
First Grade Science Projects
Check out these fun first grade science projects and experiments that can be done with everyday household items.
First Grade Science Curriculum
- The Science4Us curriculum focuses on the core ideas in each module and eliminates extraneous information that can inhibit comprehension.
- Core ideas are well established and concepts are repeated in a variety of formats in lessons to make mastery more accessible for early learners.
- Activities can be played multiple times to allow students to discover connections on their own and reinforce connections through repetition.
- The curriculum is presented in an engaging and memorable way using digital technology and hands on activities.
- Activities are designed to be instructional and offer strong contextual support in the form of feedback and hints.
- The science content is heavily supported with visuals and audio cues for nonreaders and emergent readers.
- Teachers are provided with science pedagogy videos and thoroughly detailed lesson plans to feel at ease when teaching the content.
View First Grade Lesson Plans
What science teachers are saying…
I used to be a little apprehensive about teaching science because I never felt like I had the right tools to catch my students’ attention in a way that they would be able to understand the material. Now that I have used Science4us, I know just how excited they are to watch the catchy videos, play the interactive games and explore all of the activities on the site. It makes it fun to teach science skills. Overall, my students seem more excited to do science activities. They ask me all the time if they can watch the video segments over again.
-Mrs. Stewart, First Grade Teacher