Explore Static Electricity with Balloons
Grade Level: Second Grade
Book: Physical Science Unit: Energy Module: Electrical Energy
Introduce students to the effects of static electricity and show that electricity is found in more places than lights and plugs.
Can static electricity make a balloon “stick” to other objects?
- One or more balloons
- Wool sweater or rug
- Blow up the balloons.
- Feel the balloons and the wall. Are they sticky? Does the balloon stick to the wall?
- Rub a balloon several times across the wool sweater or rug.
- Place it against the wall. Does it stick to the wall?
- Rub the balloon across the sweater or rug again.
- Bring it close to a friend’s hair. Does their hair stand up and stick to the balloon?
- What else will a rubbed balloon stick to?