Grade Level: Second Grade
Book: Physical Science Unit: Matter Module: Observing Matter
To teach students about density by showing that denser salt water will make an egg float.
Does an egg float better in freshwater or saltwater?
- 2 clear containers
- Measuring spoons
- Stirring spoon
- 2 raw eggs
- To begin your floating eggs experiment, fill your two containers with water. Make sure the amounts are equal.
- Use the measuring spoons to pour seven tablespoons of salt in the first container of water. Do not put any salt in the second container.
- Stir the container of water until the salt is completely dissolved. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Gently place one raw egg in each container.
- Watch the eggs for a few seconds. What happens?