Gravity or Magnetism?
Grade Level: Kindergarten
Book: Physical Science Unit: Force and Motion Module: Magnets
Investigate how magnetism can be more powerful than gravity.
Which force is stronger—magnetism or gravity?
- small magnet
- Gather the necessary materials.
- Tie a piece of thread to the paperclip.
- Stand a shoebox vertically. Tape the end of the thread not tied to paperclip to the bottom of the shoebox so that the paperclip almost reaches the top of the box.
- Place the magnet on top of the box. Bring the paperclip to the top of the box and let go. Record the results.
- Remove the magnet. Record the results.