We give you the tools and training you need to get your students excited about science
Introduction to Science4Us
Start strong with this introductory workshop, delivered either onsite or via webinar. This course will give teachers the time and confidence they need to integrate Science4Us into their instruction. Teachers will learn how to navigate the program, the key components of a Science4Us instructional module, and how Science4Us lessons can look in their classrooms. They will then spend some time planning Science4Us lessons for their students.
- Learn to navigate Science4Us.com
- Enroll their students and assign an online activity
- Utilize a variety of teaching strategies in their lessons
- Plan engaging science lessons that build problem-solving skills and support literacy
Using Science4Us as the Foundation for Science Instruction
This workshop helps teachers develop a deeper understanding of how to integrate Science4Us into their curriculum. The course shows teachers how to get the most from the Science4Us Lesson Materials by making intentional instructional decisions as they design a lesson plan. In the workshop, the instructor models best practices for lesson planning using Science4Us. Teachers work individually or in small groups to integrate best teaching practices with Science4Us into their curriculum.
- Effectively utilize Science4Us tools for K-2 instruction to improve student learning
- Learn to incorporate Science4Us into a variety of instructional settings
- Develop customized lessons by modifying the Science4Us resources
K-2 Learning and the 5E Instructional Model
Participating teachers will be able to effectively use Science4Us in the context of the 5E Model for science instruction. The workshop combines Science4Us hands-on activities with other Science4Us resources to enhance student engagement and understanding. Participants discuss the 5E instructional model and its benefits. The instructor demonstrates how Science4Us can be used in the context of each of the 5 Es.
- Understand the 5E Instructional Model
- Learn best practices for using Science4Us within any of the phases of the 5E model
- Plan science lessons using the 5 Es and Science4Us and share lesson ideas with colleagues
KLEWS to Building Explanations in Science
This workshop will help teachers investigate ways to effectively infuse literacy into science lessons with Science4Us. Participants explore the use of the KLEWS and CER Frameworks to construct scientific explanations through experimentation and by visually connecting claims and evidence. The instructor demonstrates lessons that use the models to support scientific investigations.
- Understand the KLEWS and CER frameworks for use in the science classroom
- Explore the use of key literacy skills to develop student understanding of science concepts
- Learn best practices for using Science4Us to incorporate literacy into lessons
Along with our on-demand professional development videos, teachers can use the Science4Us program-embedded videos and lesson plans that guide and support elementary educators to confidently and effectively teach science lessons in their K-2 classrooms.
Embedded teacher support includes:
- Session Guides that explain the pedagogical importance of each session, the roles of the student and the teacher, and the best way to plan and deliver each daily science lesson
- Teacher Guides that explain the objective for students and provide a step-by-step implementation guide for the lesson including recommended teaching strategies
- Teacher Explain resources include:
- Background knowledge teachers will need to lead a lesson with confidence
- Common misconceptions to help students avoid
- Best practices for extending the knowledge into students’ daily lives
- Ideas for integrating literacy strategies
- Cross-content connection awareness